Re-Elect Melissa Youssef2021 Durango City Council
EXPERIENCED, EFFECTIVE, ENERGETIC summarizes my character as I officially announce my re-election campaign for Durango City Council. I’ve gained invaluable experience the past four years navigating the intricacies of city government. I’ve honed my listening skills. I’ve learned to effectively negotiate through conflict, while striving to be a unifying voice. I have worked hard to deliver on my previous campaign slogan, YOUR VISION, YOUR VALUES, YOUR VOICE, and it has been an honor to communicate directly with so many of you.
During my tenure as mayor (2019-2020), I gained experience in crisis management through two major city personnel transitions and the ongoing crisis of the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite these unprecedented challenges we have been very effective. I am most proud of the timely actions our City Council took to support residents and businesses negatively impacted by the pandemic. Please see 2020 Year in Review, below, to read about the programs implemented in response to the pandemic, as well as other City Council accomplishments for 2020.
I am inspired by our progress on several key issues facing Durango, including our economic development and revitalization programs, budget stabilization, maintenance of vital city services, and development of city staff, but we have much yet to be done. I ask for your support as I seek a second term to continue advancing our projects and commitments.
Durango City Council
Priorities for the Term Ahead
My top priorities for this upcoming term include:
- Support and advocacy of our local businesses. I serve on the Economic Recovery Task Force for Restaurant and Retail Sectors and will continue to focus on efforts to support our businesses and reinvigorate commerce throughout town.
- Implementation of financial policies, controls, and systems. I serve as the City Council liaison on the Strategy and Long-term Finance Committee where recommendations will be made to City Council to support these initiatives.
- Greater support of our arts and culture initiatives to diversify our economy and strengthen our sense of community and locale. I serve as the City Council liaison to the Creative Economy Commission and I recognize the value of arts and culture as an economic driver.
- Focus on connectivity, safe pedestrian/bicycle crossings, and ADA* accessibility. (*Americans with Disabilities Act)
- Address affordable/attainable housing, homelessness, water infrastructure and facility needs, and long-term financial sustainability.
I am rolling up my sleeves to continue the progress and forward momentum that we have achieved over the past four years. Thank you for your support as I seek a second term. I remain committed to you and your voice, and I hope you will contact me any time with your questions, comments, and suggestions. Please see the options below to participate in my campaign—and thank you!
Endorsements for Melissa Youssef2021 Durango City Council Re-Election
- Jack Morrison – The Durango Herald:
Four years ago, Melissa Youssef brought to the City Council much needed integrity, honesty and transparency.Prior to her election there was a community perception about the lack of transparency on the part of several council members. During her tenure she has proven to be a competent, fair, cooperative and transparent leader. Read on…