MelissaYoussef.com

The notion of community – the sharing of common attitudes, values, and interests – is the glue that unites and motivates us to work together toward common goals. I care deeply about protecting and building on the character qualities that make Durango distinct and unique. Stay tuned to stay abreast of what’s happening in Durango.

Back to Home

Community

• Complex Homeless Issue Weighs Heavily on Durango Residents

Dear Durango Community-

What are the biggest issues challenging Durango?

All five candidates running for Durango City Council have repeatedly been asked this question in recent weeks. Our answers are appearing in writing in The Durango Herald and The Durango Telegraph, and have been verbalized at a variety of pre-election forums.

I initially campaigned on the themes of…

• A View From the Campaign Trail – March 2017

I have been wanting to send an update for weeks now..… This campaign is a B-I-G effort and has been a full-time-PLUS job in terms of time and energy as I do my very best to earn your confidence and the trust of the Durango community. I am working hard to prepare and position myself…

• Teens Thrive- Durango Mental Health Initiative

New Initiative in Durango Focuses on Teen Suicide, Bullying and Mental Health Awareness

We want our teens to live lives of joy and purpose. Far too often that joy can be diminished if that teen is grappling with mental health issues or facing extreme social challenges, like bullying. With the intent of providing healing tools and…

• History of Organic Parks in Durango

Organic Park Management in Durango, Plus a Q&A with Cathy Metz, Parks and Recreation Director
    Last week on “Your Front Seat,” guest contributor Cody Reinheimer wrote a blog post on Durango’s efforts with organic park management and the Organic Parks Durango organization. This week, I’ll begin with a summary and brief history of the topic. Then,…

• Happy Thanksgiving

Hello Friends!
    Just a note to let you know how GRATEFUL I am to be on this journey with you through my blog, “Your Front Row Seat.” I’ve learned so much and gained so much inspiration! I’ve never been more sure of my personal mission to serve my beloved community of Durango since beginning this blog…

• Bill Zimsky on Airports, Roads and Bridges – Guest Opinion

Guest Opinion: Bill Zimsky on Airports, Roads and Bridges in La Plata County
    Now that the voters have rejected mill levy increases for both the expansion of the airport and for a dedicated fund for improving the County’s roads and bridges the natural follow up question is how should proponents of these two proposals move forward…

• Durango Transit – Here Today, Gone Tomorrow?

“You can’t get there from here!”  These words are NOT a hallmark of a healthy community!

Public transportation has been a vitally important social service for Durango since 1982, connecting residents to jobs (a low cost commuting alternative – and for some, the only option), medical care, school and other important amenities. Beyond meeting these basic…